Sunday, October 26, 2008

Halloween Cakey-Pop Things

More Halloween Fun around here. These may be the single most un-homemade thing I have ever made. Does that make sense? I found the idea here. If you make these, prepare to get seriously messy.

Here we go:
1. Bake a red velvet cake - from a mix. Marvel at the amount of red food coloring that must be in the package.
2. Let it cool.
3. Take the entire cake and crumble it into a large bowl with your hands.
4. Add almost an entire can of cream cheese frosting - from a can (photos courtesy of Sophie).


5. Using your hands, mush it all together.


6. Roll into balls - I used a med. cookie scoop for size.
7. Pop them into the freezer for an hour or so. I left mine in overnight, but I also added a whole can of frosting, so they were still pretty soft in the morning.


8. Melt some candy melts in the microwave.
9. Dip your lollipop stick into the candy coating, then insert 1/2 way into one of the cake balls.
10. Submerge the ball into the coating and tap, tap, tap while turning.
11. Stick into styrofoam to dry.


12. Decorate! I love the eyeballs.


This is a great baking project for me because I had absolutely no interest in eating them. The kids however, thought they were hysterical!

9 comments:

  1. i bought all the stuff to make this last week and am planning on making them for a part on wednesday. glad to see they are actually as easy as they look. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did your hands turn red from the food coloring in the cake mix?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute!! I was wondering about how red your hands were too! Does it wash off or have to wear off?

    Sophie did a great job with the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The red actually does wash off - I was concerned as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look really gross, but cute. Wouldn't tempt me either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, adorable? I'm so sad I missed it! What did you go as? Those look super yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, adorable? I'm so sad I missed it! What did you go as? Those look super yummy.

    ReplyDelete