Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Recipe: Sunday Sour Cream Coffee Cake


Here is a new recipe I tried last week. It comes from The Debbie Macomber Cookbook my Mother-in-Law gave to me when we were in NY for Molly's wedding. The cake has a great texture and flavor. I thought the sides were a bit too hard and the topping got a little burnt from cooking so long. I would put a sheet of aluminum foil over the cake half way through baking and maybe lower the temp? Though I liked the topping, I did not love it. Next time, I would add cold butter and flour and make a more traditional coffee cake topping.

Ingredients

  • 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 4 large eggs at room temperature
  • 1 T. pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups sour cream
  • 4 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt

For the streusel:

  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 T. ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan. I used a spring form pan.

Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for 4 to 5 minutes, until light. Add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla and sour cream. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined. Finish stirring with a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.

Spoon half the batter into the pan and spread it out with a knife. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup streusel. Spoon the rest of the batter in the pan, spread it out, and scatter the remaining streusel on top. Bake for 1 hour 5 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.

Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! This looks so yummy! I might just have to try and make it! :)

    ReplyDelete