Friday, September 10, 2010


We are slowly carving out a new routine for the new school year. This past month has felt rushed and out of control - so many things happening that I felt like I was just reacting and trying to keep up. A lot of changes have come to our home in these past few weeks.

My Mother ended her visit and returned home after witnessing first hand the craziness that is our life for a week. I'm sure she went straight to bed to recover.

Our weather took a dramatic turn from humid and in the 90's to chilly, windy and in the 50's and 60's. Fall has arrived and we have been digging out warmer coats and and warm blankets for snuggling on the couch at night. I need to get the garage cleaned out for the winter and the yard weeded and mulched down for the winter.

The kids have started school - Max is in 5th grade, Sophie in 3rd and Calvin in 1/2 day kindergarten. I have been walking them to school every morning this week and then walking back at noon to pick up Calvin. We started the week with Calvin fighting a double ear infection which made his first two days of school rather miserable.

I have a minimum of 9 kids here every morning for breakfast - sometimes 12. I have another interview next week for a new family with three young boys. More kids means more work and mess, but it also means more security for our family. We are transitioning back to earlier bedtimes and earlier mornings as we try to fit in time for practicing the trombone and piano, homework and silent reading as well as getting out the door on time for school. Max is a crossing guard this year.

Bryan has moved to New York for a new job. The kids were able to spend a few hours with him before he left and are now trying to figure out how to keep in touch without the every other weekend schedule they were enjoying. Each child has weathered this new change differently with Sophie having the hardest time. She spent the first few evenings in tears, climbing into my bed late at night for reassurance. As with so many things, they will adjust with time and lots of love and hopefully will see their Dad again soon. As for the divorce, it is still limping along and has not been finalized at this point.

Our weekends are packed with soccer games and birthday parties and trying to fit in all of the errands needed for a busy family. Life is busy, but busy is good. We are carving our a routine that makes the days go by quickly and keeps our minds focused on all of the things that need to be done day to day.

No comments:

Post a Comment