Monday, November 10, 2008

Making Whoopies

Whoopie Pies people, sheesh!

I needed to make some cookies for the Super Saturday cookie contest and I had seen some photos of pumpkin whoopie pies in a magazine last month. I found a recipe here, but I made my own filling (theirs used shortening - gag). Make a double batch of the recipe and for the filling combine in a mixer a stick of soft unsalted butter, a package (8oz) of room temperature cream cheese, the juice of one big lemon, a couple teaspoons of vanilla (I use a vanilla with little specks of bean in it called vanilla crush - you can find it at TJMaxx). Beat until smooth and then start adding powdered sugar until it is stiff enough to spread. This recipe would make enough to generously frost a double layer carrot cake as well. Yum! You don't have to make the cookies into pies, they would be great alone or with frosting on top.


I took a bunch of them to Super Saturday (where they won first place!) and then left the rest for the kids to frost and eat for breakfast. I may of had one for breakfast as well. According to Bryan, that plan went over VERY well. Calvin saw this photo last night and was begging me to make them again!

2 comments:

  1. Those look so good, I love anything pumpkin this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom used to always make whoopy pies for us to take to school for our birthdays. They are so yummy, but I haven't had them in forever.

    ReplyDelete