Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Recipe: Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies


I made these for FHE tonight and since I was serving a crowd, I times the recipe by 4.  That's a LOT of cookies.  I specifically made these because I do not like coconut in cookies (and I am trying to de-squishify myself) but the crowd at FHE gobbled them up!  Recipe adapted from this one here.


Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies
Yield: about 2 dozen cookies
Ingredients:
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. ground cinnamon (I ran out of cinnamon and added some Pumpkin Pie Spice as well)
¼ tsp. salt
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1½ cups old fashioned oats
¾ cup shredded coconut - toasted
½ cup butterscotch chips
¼ cup dark chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.  Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.  In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.  Stir to blend, and set aside.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugars and beat on medium-high speed until light and smooth, about 2-3 minutes.  Beat in the egg until incorporated.  Blend in the vanilla.  With the mixer on low speed, mix in the dry ingredients just until incorporated.  With a spatula, fold in the oats, coconut, butterscotch chips and chocolate chips until evenly combined.  
Drop scoops of dough (about 2 tablespoons each - mine were a bit smaller) onto the prepared baking sheets, a few inches apart.  Bake for 12-15 minutes (my oven ran hot and they only needed 9 minutes), until just set and light golden, rotating the pans halfway through baking.  Let cool on the pans about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.



1 comment:

  1. Oh Yumm! These look delicious. (I don't think I ever met a cookie I didn't like - I'm afraid it's painfully evident, too!)

    Xoxoxo. Aunt barb

    ReplyDelete