Saturday, November 6, 2010

Recipe: Broccoli Salad


This is a new recipe I tried for the teacher luncheon at the kids school. This version makes enough for a small army - or enough to bring a huge salad to an event and have plenty left over for your family as well. The salad is very crunchy and filling - feel free to substitute sunflower seeds for the almonds or use less if you'd like.

3 lbs of broccoli (I bought the Sam's Club bag of florets)
2 cups thinly sliced almonds, toasted
2/3 cup dried cranberries

bacon - cooked and chopped (I made a whole package for breakfast, gave 11 kids one piece each and used the rest in this salad - you could add more or omit entirely)

2/3 cup golden raisins
1 red onion, finely chopped

Buttermilk Dressing
1 cup buttermilk, well-shaken
2/3 cup mayonnaise (I did not have enough so I used half sour cream)
2 tablespoons cider vinegar (again, I used what I had which was white wine vinegar)
2 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons finely chopped shallot (or, you could just use a little extra red onion)

salt and pepper to taste

1 comment:

  1. This sounds just like the broccoli salad that my mom loves to make. It really is sooo good! And it does make a ton.

    ReplyDelete