Friday, October 30, 2009

Recipe: Eggs Benedict Squares


This is another new recipe I tried on Wednesday. I served it to the kids for breakfast and they actually all loved it though most of them picked out the green stuff. I modified a recipe from Essential Mormon Celebrations which someone gave me for Christmas one year.

4 whole English muffins split in half
2 cups grated cheddar cheese divided (I did not have enough sharp cheddar, so I used a mixture of sharp cheddar, parmigiana and mozzarella)
1 cup chopped ham (I took 1/2 pound of deli ham and chopped it up)
3 cups cooked broccoli or asparagus. I used a bunch of asparagus and just cooked it really quickly in the microwave.
8 eggs (I used 10)
2 cups milk
1/2 cup chopped red pepper (I left this out knowing the kids would just pick it out)
1 t. dry mustard (I did not have any of this, so I added a bit of garlic powder and dry marjoram because it smelled good.)
3/4 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper.

Oven to 350. Take a 9 X 13 glass pan and butter it. Put the muffins in the bottom and then sprinkle them with 2/3 of the cheese. Add a little extra - I did. Sprinkle on the asparagus. Beat together the wet ingredients and then pour into the pan. Bake for 35 minutes or so and then top with the remaining cheese and bake again until melted. You can tell when it's done becaue it is puffy and firm when touched. This recipe came with a sauce recipe to pour on top, but it seemed like overkill, so I skipped it.

I snapped a photo the next morning when I was reheating this for my breakfast. Great leftovers and I did not pick out the asparagus.

1 comment:

  1. julie badger jensen (the author of that cookbook is a good friend of my mother-in-law; i have both her cookbooks and have enjoyed them.) james mcnair is the name of my brother and my dad (although mac not mc). anyhoo, fun seeing these are your blogs. that teacher cake looked divine as well. i should never come to your blog hungry.

    ReplyDelete